What is a Seniors Real Estate Specialist®?
A Seniors Real Estate Specialist® (SRES®) is a REALTOR® who is uniquely qualified to assist seniors in housing sales and purchases. The SRES® designation is awarded only to REALTORS® who have additional education to help seniors and their families with later-in-life real estate transactions.
What qualities make an SRES® different from any other real estate agent?
• They have knowledge, experience, and compassion in dealing with senior issues
• They can suggest housing alternatives, including ones that may allow an aging parent to remain in the home instead of selling it
• They take a no-pressure approach to the transaction and have a strong service orientation
• They will take the time needed to make a client feel comfortable throughout the selling process
• They understand the emotional demands a sale can take on a senior and try to minimize them
• They tailor the marketing of a home to the needs of an older client
• They can interact easily with all generations, including seniors, adult children, and caretakers
• They are knowledgeable about local senior housing options and elder support services
• They have a wide network of other senior-focused professionals who can assist in tax counseling, financial and estate planning, and other aspects of the sale and move
What is an SRES® Professional Network?
Selling a senior’s most valued and valuable asset, their home, and the subsequent move, often requires unique expertise on a number of different fronts. One compelling reason to choose an SRES® is that you’ll gain access to their network of related service professionals. For seniors, that includes specialists across a wide array of financial, legal, property and personal services, from estate planning, to downsizing.
An SRES® maintains a professional network that includes individuals who can help with various steps of the sale and move, offering assistance on these and other matters:
• The decision to sell: reverse mortgage counsellors that can look at ways to use the home’s equity to allow a senior to remain in their home, if preferred
• Prior to listing: tax specialists and financial planners to examine ways to protect assets
• Preparing the home for showing: handymen, landscapers and clutter reduction specialists
• Legal considerations: real estate attorneys to help with estate planning or closing
• Moving: downsizing experts, senior moving specialists, estate sale planners, and storage facilities
An SRES® also has ties throughout the local senior community. Many agents actively participate in a variety of senior and community service organizations. They can provide referrals to resources such as public benefit offices, transitional services coaches, grief counsellors, and other services, as needed.
If you’d like more information and to learn more about active adult living centres in your neighbourhood, go to www.DownsizingRealtor.ca.